Regulatory Guidance series
These are high level guidance notes on our approach to implementing the Regulations. They sit below government guidance.
They have been prepared for our staff and to help applicants too. In most cases however we expect that applicants will be able to apply for permits without the need for reading these documents (for example when applying for a standard permit).
We also recommend that in the first instance applicants seek pre-application advice through their local Environment Agency office.
We aim to incorporate feedback as we get it and are currently reviewing them.
- RGN No. 1 Understanding the meaning of Operator (version 4.0, April 2010) (PDF, 315KB)
- RGN No. 2 Understanding the meaning of regulated facility (version 3, April 2013) (PDF 598KB)
- RGN No. 2 Understanding the meaning of regulated facility - Appendices 1 and 2 (version 3, April 2013) (PDF, 1.4MB)
Appendix 1 - Interpretation of Schedule 1 to the Regulations and Appendix 2 - Defining scope of the installation
- RGN No. 2 Understanding the meaning of regulated facility - Appendix 3 Interpretation of Intensive Farming Installations (version 3, April 2013) (PDF, 546 KB)
- RGN No. 2 Understanding the meaning of regulated facility - Appendix 4 Understanding the scope of mobile plant (version 3, April 2013) (PDF, 414KB)
- RGN No. 3 Deciding applications are duly made and requests for further information (version 2.0, April 2010) (PDF, 310KB)
- RGN No. 4 Setting standards for environmental protection (version 3.0, November 2011) (PDF, 670KB)
- RGN No. 5 Operator competence (version 3.0, updated March 2011) (PDF, 349KB)
- RGN No. 6 Determinations involving sites of high public interest (version 4.1, October 2011) (PDF, 110KB)
- RGN No. 7 Appeals to Secretary of State or Welsh Ministers (version 3.0, April 2010) (PDF, 85KB)
- RGN No. 8 Substantial changes in operation at installations, mining waste facilities and other facilities involving solvents and combustion (version 3.0, updated March 2011) (PDF, 180KB)
- RGN No. 9 Surrender (version 2.0, April 2010) (PDF, 137KB)
- RGN No. 10 Dealing with the death, financial difficulties or striking off of an operator (version 1.0, June 2009) (PDF, 82KB)
This guidance note applies to waste and installations only.
- RGN No. 11 Enforcement powers (version 2.0, updated December 2010) (PDF, 457KB)
This guidance instructs our staff on how to use enforcement powers at regulated facilities. We have published it on our external website so everyone can see our approach. However, the document does contain hyperlinks to some internal Environment Agency guidance. These links are not accessible externally. For full information about enforcement and civil sanctions please visit the following web page: